“Any living cell carries with it the experience of a billion years of experimentation by itsancestors. You cannot expect to explain so wise an old bird in a few simple words.”
“It is to be remembered that the whole complex organism, which we term the body, is built up of minute cell elements which were once, to all intents and purposes, protozoicanimalculae like the amoeba…. [Cancer] is but a process of devolution, of reversion of cells to a primordial amoebiform condition, in which they become parasites, or rather autosites.”
- Welsh JS. Contagious cancer. Oncologist. 2011; 16:1-4.
- Alberts B, Johnson A, Lewis J, Raff M, Roberts K, Walter P. Molecular biology of the cell. 4th ed. New York: Garland Science; 2008.
- Delbrück, M. A physicist looks at biology. Trans Conn Acad Arts Sci. 1949; 38:173-190.
- Theobald DL. A formal test of the theory of universal common ancestry. Nature. 2010; 465:219-222.
- Ying M, Zhan Z, Wang W, Chen D. Origin and evolution of ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes from Guillardia thetanucleomorph to
hominoid. Gene. 2009; 447:72-85.
- West SA, Fisher RM, Gardner A, Kiers ET. Major evolutionary transitions in individuality. Proc Natl AcadSci USA. 2015; doi:10.
- Schmidt A, Weber OF. In memoriam of Rudolf Virchow: a historical retrospective including aspects of inflammation, infection and
neoplasia. ContribMicrobiol. 2006; 13:1-15.
- Snow HL. A treatise, practical and theoretic, on cancers and the cancer-process. London: Churchill; 1893.
- Watari A, Iwabe N, Masuda H, Okada M. Functional transition of Pak proto-oncogene during early evolution of metazoans.
Oncogene. 2010; 29:3815-3826.
- Segawa Y, Suga H, Iwabe N, et al. Functional development of Src tyrosine kinases during evolution from a unicellular ancestor to
multicellular animals. Proc Natl AcadSci USA. 2006; 103:12021-12026.
- Mendoza L, Orozco E, Rodríguez MA, et al. Ehp53, an Entamoeba histolytica protein, ancestor of the mammalian tumour
suppressor p53. Microbiology. 2003; 149:885-893.
- Abhyankar MM, Hochreller AE, Hershey J, et al. Characterization of an Entamoeba histolytica high-mobility-group box protein
induced during intestinal infection. Eukaryot Cell. 2008; 7:1565-1572.
- Tomic N, Meyer-Rochow VB. Atavisms: medical, genetic, and evolutionary implications. PerspectBiol Med. 2011; 54:332-353.
- Zanni G, Opitz JM. Atavisms: phylogenetic Lazarus? Am J Med Genet A. 2013; 161A:2822-2835.