Paradoxes of Our Cancer Therapeutic Progress
The False Positives of Oncologic Progress
The distrust in our ingenious pharmacological and biological therapies for cancer is evidenced by the fact that we continue removing precious and meaningful organs from women as soon as a cancer the size of a lentil or a pea is discovered in their breasts. In other words, despite our apparent exceptional progress in molecular and genetic therapeutics of cancer, we continue removing one or both breasts and emptying the axillary pits from lymph nodes in women as young as 25, in the same way we have been doing for the last 500 years (see image below). What hopes can we offer to a patient with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer?
- Stewart BW, Wild C, editors. World cancer report 2014. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, World Health
- Ward E, DeSantis C, Robbins A, Kohler B, Jemal A. Childhood and adolescent cancer statistics, 2014. CA Cancer J Clin. 2014;
- Twombly R. Cancer surpasses heart disease as leading cause of death for all but the very elderly. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005;
- American Cancer Society. Cancer facts & figures 2014. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2014.
- Bailar JC, 3rd, Gornik HL. Cancer undefeated. N Eng J Med. 1997; 336:1569-74.
- Morgan G, Ward R, Barton M. The contribution of cytotoxic chemotherapy to 5-year survival in adult malignancies. Clin Oncol
- Faguet GB. The Conquest of Cancer: A distant goal. Dordrecht, The Netherlands Springer; 2015.
- Prigerson, HG., et al. Chemotherapy Use, Performance Status, and Quality of Life at the End of Life. JAMA Oncol. 2015;1:778-784.